Every year, the IRS takes money out of everyone’s paychecks and gives it to the government. This is called an income tax. The IRS also collects taxes on business’ earnings and profits. Many people struggle with the idea of the government taking a large chunk of their money out of each of their paychecks. However, if you want to be an American citizen, this is what you have to do. If you’re looking into moving to a new state, one of the things you’ll want to consider is which states have the highest income tax. It could be a factor into where you decide to move. Here is a list of the states with the highest income tax.
- Maryland. Boasting the highest median household income, Maryland is the wealthiest state in the United States.
- Virginia. Virginia can claim that it has the oldest legislature in the United States, but it also has one of the highest income taxes as well.
- Hawaii. A popular destination for tourists, this tropical chain of islands also has one of the highest income taxes in the United States.
- New Jersey. New Jersey has clocked in as the 3rd wealthiest state in the nation.
- Minnesota. Known as the Land of 10,000 lakes, this state has one of the highest income taxes in the United States.
If you want to skip out on paying the government your income tax, try living in Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, or Wyoming. None of these states have an income tax.